Charles Lewis Tiffany left the country life of Connecticut to seek his fortune in New York, where he opened a stationery and china shop simply called Tiffany. When John B. Young became partner of Charles in 1837, they opened the first Tiffany & Co. store in Brodway. From that moment on, the silverware signed Tiffany & Co. would be recognized for its unparalleled quality and refinement. The superiority of his products and his innovative force led Charles to win an award for excellence in 1878.
The use of sterling silver – an alloy of precious metal and copper – led to what would be called the Tiffany School: typical decorations mainly reminding of oriental motives, a refined design, hammered surfaces, three-dimensional applications, and internal metal alloys. Masterpieces such as the Mackay service – consisting of 1250 pieces of silverware and crockery, made with half a ton of silver and decorated with Indian and Persian motives – crowned the team of Tiffany as the best silversmiths for the high-quality standards of their products, still undefeated. Nowadays jewels, chandeliers, cups, trays, plates, carafes, jugs signed Tiffany are recognised as grat product.
Items created by: Tiffany & Co.
Sterling silver centrepiece - Tiffany & Co. - United States early 1900s
- 2 requests for this object
Cufflinks in 18 karat yellow gold and onyx - Tiffany & Co. - United States 1960s
- 6 requests for this object
Sterling silver cup - Tiffany & Co. - United States 1910s
- 3 requests for this object
Sterling silver carafe - Tiffany & Co. - United States 19th century
- 7 requests for this object
"Mesh" necklace designed by Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co.
- 4 requests for this object
Apple in sterling silver - Tiffany & Co. - United States, early 20th century